Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Catchy Lines


JD Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" is supposed to have spoilt a generation of writers by making writing look too easy. I love the book's style, words tripping together to build Holden Caulfield's character and life. There is something very real and honest about the novel as captured by its first line:

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

That got me thinking about other memorable first lines or "hooks" from other books. Here's another favorite from Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "One Hundred Years of Solitude":

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Another brilliant book is "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, with one of the most creative storylines I've come across. The novel's first line by its protagonist Calliope Stephanides sums up the story succintly:

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

Here are a couple of quotes from one of my favorite novels "The Incredible Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera. Although they did not open the novel, they are particularly striking:

"We can never know what we want because, living only one life, we can neither compare it to our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

We live everything as it comes, without warning, like an actor going on cold. And what can life be worth if the first rehearsal for life is life itself? That is why life is always like a sketch. No, "sketch" is not quite the word, because a sketch is an outline of something, the groundwork for a picture, whereas the sketch that is our life is a sketch for nothing, an outline with no picture.

Any more first lines, or memorable quotes from books anyone?

24 comments:

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

oh there are tons.....i quite loved ur selection here, Meg!!! the pains u took to share them with us shows ur love for words....:)

Megster said...

Thanks Moi:)

Am lazy and don't write but I do love books:)

Which would be your fav. quote, or, fav. character from a book?

Wanda said...

Great post....I will start looking.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Quotes will be many but among characters I love Atticus Finch from to kill a mockingbird and Scarlett o Hara from Gone with the wind the most, I guess. :)

Megster said...

Wanda,
Thank you:)

Moi,
heyy..I've been in love with Atticus Finch for a loooong time now:)

suramya said...

that line from 100 years of solitude is lovely, currently reading that book :)

Megster said...

Suramya,

It is indeed:) Garcia is an amazing writer. I hope you're feeling better now..

suramya said...

I'm fine :), thank u for all the warm wishes

Lotus Reads said...

Loved your selection of quotes Meghna! I have one, but it comes from a more recent book, "A Golden Age" by British writer of Bangladeshi descent, Tahmima Anam. Actually, it's not a quote but I think it's a brilliant and memorable opening line because it sucks you right in.

It goes like this:

"Dear Husband, today I lost our children..."

Megster said...

Lotus Reads,

Wow..that is quite lovely! Thank you for sharing it..

Anonymous said...

Men are much more willing to say yes if they have the freedom to say no. - from Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus

Anonymous said...

gBCZ1R Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

qZkEQ4 Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

HAXMj4 Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Merlin said...

From the movie Spiderman
""(Opening Narration) Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody told you it was a happy tale, if somebody said I was just your average guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied. But let me assure you, this, like any other story worth telling, is all about a girl. [Cut to first shot of Mary Jane] That girl, The girl next door. Mary Jane Watson. The woman I loved since before I even liked girls. [Camera pans to Mary Jane's boyfriend, Flash Thompson]I'd like to tell you that's me next to her.[Camera goes to a fat guy in the seat in front of MJ, eating a jelly donut]Heck, I'd even take him.
No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try... the ones I love will always be the ones who pay.
(End narration) Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: 'With great power, comes great responsibility.' This is my gift... my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Man.
(When asked abt MJ) The great thing about M.J. is when you look in her eyes, and she looks back in yours, everything feels not quite normal, because you feel strong—and weak at the same time. You feel excited, and at the same time terrified. The truth is you don't know the way you feel, except you know the kind of man you want to be. It's as if you've reached the unreachable, and you weren't ready for it."