Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Talking to God

I joined meditation for two reasons: peace of mind and reflection. To better understand what I felt and why, instead of doubting myself and going crazy doing it. I thought an hour and a half once a week is enough for enlightenment.

It isn't. Four sessions and I am still clueless. I've tried both Tibetan meditation and Buddhist meditation (yes they are different). The Tibetan techniques includes chanting mantras and for all my faith in the power and energy of words I didn't have the patience to go through with it. The Buddhist way of guided introspection reminded me of an intriguing book titled "Selling Water by the River." No rituals, no ceremony. Just a simple devotion to being a good person, to understand and accept that strife is a part of life and a quest for inner peace.

In a world saturated with religion, I found my way in meditation. It's difficult for me to sit still and concentrate for over an hour without any breaks. The first time it gave me a headache; second time, I peeked at all the other people concentrating on taking deep breaths and thought of all the things I could be doing instead of sitting in this old rundown mansion on a sunny day with my eyes closed. After the third time I looked forward to being free...to be able to allow thoughts to visit without grasping on to them, or fighting with them, to be free to think without weighing or judging yourself is freedom indeed.

Years ago I wrestled with the language of prayer: the dilemna of praying to a Hindu God in English left me guilty and confused. Then I thought about the omniscence of God and figured that language matters less than the intention or devotion. Through meditation, I've found that silence can work just as well.

7 comments:

Wanda said...

Silence, Solitude and Meditation! I love all three. We are probably on different pages in our spiritual beliefs, but that doesn't mean we don't share some of the same feelings.

When I talk to God in my meditations, I journal it. Sometimes it sounds like this, and I find such sweet peace.

"Lord I will rise early to meet you. Whispering the secrets of my heart. I will wait for your assurance and celebrate your presence. In the quiet place of your love, I will be satisfied."

I enjoy reading your post, and your journey to discover what you are looking for. I pray you will find it.
Wanda

Megster said...

Thanks Wanda! I hope so too:)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

can one meditate without consciously trying it ????
and thanx for visiting my blog and leaving a comment behind.....it's a pleasure to be here .....just went thro' a couple of ur posts and felt the kinship...:)

Radha said...

funny how you wondered whether the 'hindu god' would understand english!! :)

Megster said...

Moi,
Maybe you can..I'm not sure(: Thanks for ure feedback!

Radha,
In retrospect it is so silly:) but at one time I almost felt like I was doing some wrong!

suramya said...

I know the feeling, though I never associated meditation with religion, it was just a way for me to free my mind from all the random thoughts running through it and experinence the bliss of falling into a conscious trance, been doing it for 7 years and its a lovely feeling, 15 mins of that and I can do without two hours of my normal sleeping time

Megster said...

Suramya,
Wow! That's amazing! I'd love to reach that stage..
Didn't actually associate it with religion- I'd rather meditate than indulge in some of the long, drawn-out ceremonies!